Sphygmometer is the device that is used to measure blood pressure.
Blood pressure is the strength of the blood pushing against the sides of the blood vessels.
A increase in BP puts extra strain on the arteries and this may lead to heart attacks or strokes.
The use of Sphygmometers, is on the rise these days…
… with an increased number of people affected with high blood pressure.
One big reason of an increased blood pressure is the rising tension levels and anxiety factors.
· We engage in works which trigger greater emotions.
· We let ourselves get affected with situations that cause great panic
· We react quicker to situations and bring upon unnecessary worries and fears
Such uncontrolled and unrestrained increase in anxieties and troubles can cause a great deal of harm to our health.
The Gospel of the Day presents Jesus, the heart-expert, warning us of this danger of increased anxiety levels and troubled moments and instead invites to lead a life of peace.
Jesus says in Jn 14: 27, “Do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid”
The context of this statement of Jesus is the discourse at the Last Supper.
Jesus informs of his imminent going away from the disciples, which made them sad and anxious.
· They had placed their hopes in Him.
· They had offered their lives to Him.
But His announcement of departure caused worry and anxiety to the disciples.
But Jesus, who knows their hearts and gauges their emotions assures them, ” Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you. Not as the world gives, do I give it to you” (Jn 14:27)
The disciples entered into an anxiety-mode as their hearts got wearied with what was to come immediately.
But Jesus invites them to go beyond such peripheral worries, and be assured of a peace that comes as a result of trusting in Him, the Lord of all future!
· When one is imprisoned in the immediate worries of life, one fails to enjoy the true freedom of peace and joy
· When one is landlocked amidst the borders of impending fears and troubles of life, one is unable to move out to experience real inner tranquillity and serenity
Are we finding ourselves often in situations, when our “hearts are troubled” (Jn 14:27b) and as a result, our BP levels go high?
Then Jesus, the Master Doctor of hearts, needs to be immediately consulted…
· He would give us the tablet of His peace which would subside our fears
· He would give us the tonic of His soothing Word which would calm our troubles
Troubles will, without any doubt, always haunt us…
Problems will, for sure, often beset us…
But we need to grow in our understanding that in all this, Jesus, is in perfect control of our lives.
The Sphygmometer levels may show a higher level of BP…
>> But can we allow our Trust levels in the Lord to have a greater increase?
The reading on the Sphygmometer may show a greater count of BP…
>> But can we let the reading on our Faith Meter to show a greater count?
Let Jesus, the Doctor of hearts, take complete charge of our lives
In Him, we shall experience fervent joy.
>> In Him, we shall live with true peace.
God Bless! Live Jesus!
Quotable-quote-a-day-with-St Francis de Sales (SFS) – “Never be in a hurry; do everything quietly and in a calm spirit.
>> Do not lose your inner peace for anything whatsoever…
… even if your whole world seems upset!”