Every form of mass media has some kind of an influence on its audience or users.
Some forms of mass media are more powerful and influential…
Some others are lesser…
There is a sense of identification that users have with the content of the Mass Media.
• A scene in a movie may make its audience to burst out laughing, to shed tears at an emotional scene or even induce anger at seeing a disturbing scene.
• A commentary or a nice song or jingle or a funny comment by the host in a radio program may make the listeners to smile, to be excited or to be just relaxed.
• A meme that is seen on the social networking site or a video or a picture that is shared through mobile social apps like WhatsApp, may make the user to reflect deeper or to feel happier or draw out of ignorance
The Gospels are also a great and effective form of Mass Media…
… sharing the message of God’s love to all
… spreading the news of the Kingdom to all
… reaching out the compassion of the Lord to all
One of the important composition of the Gospel is in the form of “parables”
The Gospel of the Day, presents the dynamics of Jesus using “parables” as an effective method of communication of the message of the Kingdom of God.
The passage begins with an enquiry by the Disciples:
“The disciples approached Jesus and said, “Why do you speak to them in parables?” (Mt 13:10)
The Gospel of St Mathew is generally structured comprising of The Five Discourses…
1. The Sermon on the Mount (Chapters 5-7)
2. The Sermon for the Mission (Chapter 10)
3. The Sermon in Parables (Chapter 13)
4. The Sermon of the Church (Chapter 18)
5. The Sermon on Eschatology (Chapters 23-25)
The Thirteenth chapter of the Gospel of St Matthew is the “Sermon in Parables”
Jesus was a master story-teller.
He presented the mighty mysteries of the Kingdom in plain parables.
The parables, however, had two contrasting aspects to it…
1. On one side, they were simple and revealed many things
>> The parables of the Lord were based on everyday experiences of the people and local practices, customs and culture.
This contextualization helped the people to easily connect with the message that Jesus wanted to convey.
2. On the other side, they were complicated and concealed many dimensions
>> The parables of the Lord would neatly conceal many of the complicated dimensions of the mysteries of the Kingdom.
This concealing caused many people to misunderstand, misinterpret Jesus as well as the message that He wanted to convey.
This dual aspect in the “parables” of Jesus…
• simple and revealing many things
• yet, complicated and concealing many dimensions
… had a dual effect…
• To many, it generated interest, a sense of wonder and made way for deeper reflection and personal transformation
• Yet, to many others, it failed to make any impact, or even made them to close their hearts in receiving the truth of the Lord
The Parables of Jesus, therefore, also sparked two types of hearers…
>> Supporters and Believers
… who heard and understood the parables, and had their life transformed – growing closer to the Lord and becoming effective missionaries of the Kingdom!
>> Opponents and Skeptics
… who heard, but with minds were closed to the message of the Parables, and had their hearts hardened – distancing themselves from the Lord and turning to be adversaries of the Kingdom!
The Parables of the Lord are delivered to each one of us too.
What effect do they have, on our lives…
>> Do I remain open to its message and thus grow to be a supporter of the Kingdom and Believer in the Lord….?
>> Or do I close my heart to its truths and thus reduce myself to be an opponent to the Lord and a skeptic of the Kingdom of God…?
Jesus used the “parables” as an effective method of communication of the message of the Kingdom of God…
… to share the message of God’s love
… to spread the news of the Kingdom
… to reach out the compassion of the Lord
Do I find a sense of identification with the message of the Parables…
… or do I remain closed and hard-hearted?
Today – July 26 – we gaze at the Family Photo of our Beloved Saviour…
>> And specially recall and cherish the Blessings of God, bestowed on the privileged Grandparents of Jesus & the Parents of Blessed Mother Mary – St Anne and St Joachim…
… on their Feast Day.
Hardly anything is known about Saint Anne and Saint Joachim.
>> But one thing, we know with certainty: The legacy of their daughter, Mary…
… the Woman entrusted by God the Father, to become the Mother of God.
It was their teaching, upbringing and example that helped Mamma Mary…
… to say Her Fiat – Yes, to God.
… to stand firm in the midst of unforeseen events.
… to be strong in the face of immense pain and sufferings!
Yes, God chose two simple individuals – Anne & Joachim – to help in His Plan for the Salvation of the world.
>> The little, the tiny and the small become mighty in the Hands of God!
A harvest of manifold blessings, begins with the little, the tiny and the small…!
May the Gospel – and in particular, the Parables – turn out to be a powerful form of Mass Media, through the intercession of St Anne and St Joachim…
… effecting transforming changes in us!
Happy Feast of Mamma’s parents to all.
>> May their Li’l Divine Prince bless us! Live Jesus!